hey, you guys
hope you’re good / hope you’re well
it’s been a while, and some things have happened. i guess we can call these things ‘news’. shall we call these things ‘news’? i don’t know.
- last April i was commissioned by Wetherspoons to make a BIG collage (1.2m x 1.2m) about the history of Blackpool (sorry for the egregious link to the Wetherspoons Wikipedia page, btw). later on, i was asked to make another piece (the same size) by a mysterious, anonymous client. i have no idea where it ended up, but i like to think at an old people’s home, somewhere up north, maybe. anyway, here’s a quite bad iPhone photo of it ~
- i’m now ‘represented’ by two galleries in the UK ~ Brickwork in London and Dynamite in Brighton. my first solo show is due in April at Dynamite; more details to follow, mmmmmmmyep
- 7 of my collages appeared in Empty Mirror, on the internet. i feel good about this bc Empty Mirror like the beat writers and their head lady Denise seems like a lovely head lady
- my print store is now properly up and running, so far i’ve mailed prints all over the US and UK, a couple to France and one to Poland (thanks, Wojtek)
- my short story Apples was shortlisted for the Bridport prize + my poetry pamphlet Edibles was reviewed in the Times Literary Supplement + a poem, maybe the last one i’ll ever write IDK, showed up in Crispin Best‘s For Every Year
and THAT WAS THE ‘NEWS’!! SOME THINGS HAVE HAPPENED!!
ummmm, yep. ALSO, below are three new-ish collages (one of them has a bit from a novel i’m working on as a title) ~ hope you like them! HOPE YOU’RE GOOD! / HOPE YOU’RE WELL!
lots of love, from Ben x x x x x x x x hello x x x x x x x x x
always on my mind #4
hey there wordpress ppl!
here are some NICE things for you this tuesday on the internet
the collage above is called ‘would you like to swing on a star’
and the one below is ‘cow-grid catastophe’ …
the artist’s name is Sun Ira / Ira Carter and here’s what he has to say ~ ~ ~
Artistic history starts when I was a wee chile and encouraged by my parents. Went off to art school while dinosaurs still roamed the Earth. Became a graphic artist working in the SF Bay area. Got in on the ground floor of the Mac revolution in 1984 and taught myself how to make it do what I wanted. My art practice is informed by Dada and the desire to make confrontational but humorous art that tells truth to power in a world full of consumption, exploitation, and militarism. My hope is that a sense of play and holy foolishness comes across.
here’s Sun’s beeyootiful tumblr
hope your week is kol as heck 😉 [from Ben x]
here are a few small poems from my new chapbook / pamphlet Edibles ~ ~ ~
this book represents 5 years’ worth of work, condensed into 33 pages
feels like it may be the ‘best’ thing i’ve done so far, in terms of writing idk 😉
if you like, you can buy Edibles directly from Eyewear Publishing, it is £5 / $8.54
(or if you’d like a signed copy for the same price, please email me here ~ firstname.lastname@example.org)
promoting myself seems hard! thank you for reading
— Ben 😀
‘sequels’ to earth soup
from the paper-stock of dan kelly